We all know that flood is a natural disaster and we cannot prevent it, but if we plan effectively, use flood resistant TMT, steel, aluminium etc, then we can avoid heavy losses to our building. Promoting flood resisting construction techniques will definitely help you to reduce a lot of losses. Read more resisting techniques but before that know the reasons of floods:
- In low lying land, run-off rate will be lesser than the speed of precipitation.
- Strong storms due to rise in water level combines with regular high tide in coastal areas.
- Due to inappropriate drainage system and heavy rainfall, water can collect on the roads and can reverse back into the building through sewer pipes when it will exceed the limit.
- Precipitation, rainstorm, and cyclones going on for a longer time than normal.
- Flood management can deteriorate if things like dam management fails.
Building Construction Techniques to Follow
- Selection of Construction Site
The primary step is to select an area away from the flood plains. You can understand it by inspecting the flood maps. Sometimes it can be hard due to absence of monetary or land problem. If the plot is near any water bodies then chances of flooding is always higher.
- Road and Sewage Levels
We must consistently think about the level of the site comparable to road. Always build the foundation at higher level relate to the road. Similarly, assure that there is no possibility for the discharge of water to the site during heavy rainfall.
The design of the foundation must be flood resistant and in such a way that it restricts the flood conditions. The foundation plan of flood-safe structures must depend upon the geotechnical features of soil and layers below the foundation.
- Wet Flood Proofing
Wet flood proofing includes controlled and safe section of floodwater from the lower levels of the house. The sewers and water framework must be above water level or need to be fixed when the water exceeds the limit to avoid health problems. The utilization of flood vents, flood resistant structure materials by finding them over the expected flood height are on the whole techniques for wet flood proofing.
Normally, we can reduce the impacts of these damages by carrying out fixing, planning, constructing, and using corrosion resistant materials like corrosion resistant TMT, concrete, water leakage pipes, etc that are suitable in flood prone areas.